The town of Talavera was formerly a barrio of Cabanatuan City. It was called “Katugian”. Katugian means a place abounding in “Tugue” an edible root crop. This crop was discovered when there came a shortage of food cause by continuous droughts. The people were industrious, progressive and peaceful. There was a large tract of grassland where a great number of carabaos were raised. Wild pigs, chickens and deer were seen along the roadsides. Monkeys were often seen swinging and swaying in the tall trees. In 1869, the population of the barrio was only one thousand seven (1,787). At that time, the most active and prominent men in Katugian were Kapitan Hermingildo Talavera, Anacleto Diaz, Doroteo Valenton, Alejandro Diaz, Nicolas Mamawi, Andres Sugue, Feliciano Rivera, Mariano Talento, Juan Valino, Raymundo Agaton, and one Juan commonly known as Kua-kua.
The distance between Cabanatuan City and Katugian was very far during the old days, although it was only fourteen kilometers.
The poor means of transportation at that time and the pleading of the prominent men of Katugian moved the town officials of Cabanatuan to make Katugian separate from Cabanatuan. The Cura-Parocco recommended to the Spanish administrators a separate and Independent administration of the Katugian. By a royal decree issued on November 12, 1852, the plan making the Katugian a town was approved. There was no formal inauguration of the new town in accordance with the royal decree, the Agustian Cura Parocco of Cabanatuan, Father Gragorio Crisostomo, appointed the first officials of the town, he sent his co-adjuror, a certain Pedro Estanislao Pascual, to handle the religious phase of the administration of the new town during Sundays and Holidays only. The town hall was created on the lot of Mr. Eusebio Valenton, which was formerly owned by Isaac Nocum. The town had two narrow streets where only bull carts and sleds could pass. Only three crossroads were laid.
The barrios that were formed in the creation of the new town were La Torre, Pulong Buli (now Sto. Domingo), Conception and Valle. The inhabitants of these barrios wanted their town to have a new name. Katugian was the name of the barrio where the seat of the municipal government was established.
To avoid jealousy and misunderstanding with the other barrios which were larger at that time than Katugian, they chose a name that they will be proud of like those of the other towns created by the Spanish authorities in the other parts of the province. They presented a petition to the Alcalde Mayor (the equivalent of governor today) of Nueva Ecija, who in turn forwarded into the governor general in Manila, and on February 17, 1853, a decree was issued by the governor general approving the name “Talavera of the Crown of the Princess”.
Shortly after the appointment of the new officials, public improvements principally the laying-out of the streets, were affected under the direction and supervision of the Spanish mestizo, Hermingildo Talavera. He was succeeded by Kapitan Juan, popularly known as Kapitan Kua-kua. He was an Ilocano and did his best to finish the projects begun by Kapitan Talavera. Others who held the position as head of the town included Anacleto Diaz, Andres Digue, Juan Valino and Mariano Rivera. Nicolas Mamawi was the Kapitan del Pueblo when the revolution broke out in 1896.
Today, the development of Talavera can easily observe whether on physical or economic aspect. Commercialized buildings and investments are continuously growing and emerging. Many plans and projects by the present administration are constant while Talavera’s potentiality to become a city triggers.